Jump to the main content block

Project-Based Faculty

Full-Time Faculty—Information for Entry into Taiwan

Before entry into Taiwan

Foreign faculty


Application for work permit

Required documents:

  1. Photocopies of highest level diploma and complete transcript. Photocopies must be verified by ROC embassies and missions abroad.
  2. Photocopy of passport.
  3. Passport photo (2 inches; or digital file).

Required documents:

1. Application form.

2. Roster of employed foreign faculty.

3. Photocopy of employment contract.

4. Syllabus of course to be taught by foreign faculty.


  1. The competent authority may grant permission for employment for a period of up to 3 years. To employ a foreign faculty for longer than this period, Taiwan Tech must submit a new application form in duplicate, a photocopy of the original work permit, and a photocopy of the renewed employment contract to the competent authority within 60 days before expiration of the original work permit.

  1. If, within the period that their work permit is valid, a foreign faculty employed at any level of educational institution has to transfer to another educational institution or has to be employed by two or more educational institutions, the educational institution(s) planning to employ the foreign faculty shall apply for a work permit. If a transfer is being made to another educational institution, the educational institution planning to employ the foreign faculty shall submit documentary proof of the termination of that faculty’s previous employment. If the foreign faculty transfers to another employer that is not an educational institution within the period that their work permit is valid, the educational institution that formerly employed them shall notify the competent authority within seven days of the occurrence of such a fact to revoke the original work permit.

  1. In the event that a foreign faculty fails to report for work for 3 consecutive days or the employment relationship is terminated (as stipulated in Article 56 of Employment Service Act), the employer must notify the local labor authority, immigration authority, and police as required by regulations. The employer must also notify the competent authority. The notification should include the foreign faculty’s name, gender, age, nationality, date of entry, duration of employment, work permit application number, and a photocopy of the foreign faculty’s alien resident certificate (ARC).

  1. According to Article 7, Paragraph 2 of the Act for the Recruitment and Employment of Foreign Professionals amended and promulgated on July 7, 2021, foreign professionals who have obtained permanent residency and are engaged in employment services under Article 46, Paragraph 1, Subparagraph 3 of the Employment Service Act are exempt from applying for a work permit from the Ministry of Education. However, the foreign professional must still satisfy the eligibility requirements stipulated in Article 4, Paragraph 1, Subparagraph 2 of the Regulations Governing Educational Institutions at All Levels Applying for Work Permits for Foreign Teachers and Their Administration.

Foreign faculty


Application for visa

  1. Before entering Taiwan for work, the employed foreign faculty must apply for a resident visa at a ROC embassy or mission abroad. Required documents include the faculty’s passport and the work permit issued by the Ministry of Education.
  2. If the employed faculty is already in Taiwan, the faculty must bring their passport and the work permit issued by the Ministry of Education with them to apply for the change to resident visa at a local office of Bureau of Consular Affairs of Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
  3. According to regulations, certain foreign nationals without a visa can stay in Taiwan for 30 or 90 days from the next day of their entry. Foreigners who enter Taiwan without a visa must complete the application for the resident visa and alien resident certificate within a specified period (30 or 90 days). If the application is not completed within the period, extension or changes to visitor visas or resident visas are not allowed. The employed foreign faculty who enters Taiwan with a visa upon arrival cannot change their visa to a resident visa; the faculty must exit Taiwan and reapply for a resident visa.
  4. Required documents for applying for a resident visa: (7 working days are required for the approval process of resident visa in Taiwan)

(1) A visa application form and two 2-inch color photos taken within 6 months (complete the Online Application Form on the Bureau of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs website and print out the visa application form with the barcode on it). The application form must be signed.

(2) The original copy and a photocopy of the faculty’s passport (passport must be valid for at least 6 months).

(3) The original copy and a photocopy of the work permit issued by the Ministry of Education (the original copy will be returned after verification).

(4) Documents related to the purpose of travel to Taiwan such as the employment contract of NTUST or official documents of approval.

  1. Information of Bureau of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Republic of China (Taiwan).

Website: http://www.boca.gov.tw

Address: 3-5F, 2-2, Sec.1, Jinan Rd., Zhongzheng Dist., Taipei City 100219, Taiwan (R.O.C.)

Tel: (02) 2343-2888

  1. Work permit of the foreign faculty (digital official documents from the Ministry of Education).
  2. Employment contract from Taiwan Tech.

After entry into Taiwan

Foreign faculty


Application for ARC

Required documents:

  1. Application form (download from the website of National Immigration Agency of the Ministry of the Interior, Republic of China).
  2. Two 2-inch passport photos.
  3. Original passport and photocopy of passport and resident visa (passport will be returned after verification).
  4. Original and photocopy of work permit issued by the Ministry of Education (original will be returned after verification).
  5. Original and photocopy of employment certificate (original will be returned after verification).

• Information regarding the application to the National Immigration Agency for ARC: https://www.immigration.gov.tw/5382/5385/7244/7250/7317/%E5%B1%85%E7%95%99/29996/

Required documents:

Proof of employment within 1 month stamped with the official stamps of NTUST and the NTUST President.

Information of residence not affiliated with NTUST


Website links


The Corner House


No. 10, Ln. 157, Sec. 1, Xingsheng S. Rd., Taipei City 10657, Taiwan, R.O.C.

International House of Taipei 


No. 102, Xinpo 1st St., Xindian Dist., New Taipei City 231053, Taiwan (R.O.C.)

Just Sleep Taipei NTU


No. 83, Sec. 4, Roosevelt Rd., Taipei 10673, Taiwan



TMM Rental and Moving Services


My Room Abroad


Project-Based Faculty—Information for Entry into Taiwan

Benefits and Insurance (Labor Insurance)

Maternity benefits

Ordinary accident insurance: Salary of 60 days

Injury or sickness benefits

Ordinary Accident Insurance:

Period from Day 4 of hospitalization on: 50% of the salary.

Insurance seniority < 1 year: 6 months at maximum.

Insurance seniority ≥ 1 year: 6 + 6 months, totaling 1 year.

Occupational accident insurance:

Medical treatment period from Day 4 after the insured becomes unable to work (including hospitalization and outpatient clinics).

Year 1: 70% of the salary.

Year 2: 50% of the salary.

2 years maximum.

Medical care benefits

Occupational accident insurance:

1. Medical expenses: partial deductible from National Health Insurance.

2. Dietary expenses: 50% subsidy within 30 days of hospitalization.

Old-age benefits

Ordinary accident insurance:

Claim items classified by the employee’s age and seniority at withdrawal from insurance.

1. Old-age pension: based on the most advantageous method of the following.

(1) Salary × labor insurance seniority × 0.775% + NT$3,000;

(2) Salary × labor insurance seniority × 1.55%

2. Lump-sum old-age benefits: salary × seniority; maximum seniority for individuals aged 60 years or older is 5 years.

3. One-time old-age benefits : salary × seniority.

(1) For seniority over 15 years, 2 months per year are counted and maximum accumulated months is 45.

(2) A maximum of 50 months of cumulative seniority for individuals aged 60 years or older (including seniority before the age of 60).

The English version is provided for reference only. The Chinese version shall prevail in case of any discrepancies between the English and Chinese versions.